Platform C19 will help investigate and understand risk factors associated with poor patient outcomes for COVID-19 and outcomes for other associated conditions.
Data Insights from Platform C-19
Below are some of the many exciting preliminary findings from patients completing the Covid-19 questionnaire at a participating GP practice – courtesy of optimum patient care research database (OPCRD)
86% of patient questionnaires
started are completed
28% of patients reported Covid-19 symptoms
Over 36% of patients did not seek medical attention for Covid-19 symptoms
Chronic Condition Management
11% of patients believe they have had Covid-19
3% of patients diagnosed with Covid-19
55% of asthma patients reported asthma reliever use
27% of asthma patients reported night-time breathing symptoms
Patient Mental Health
Patients Interested in Research
52% of patients reported impact on mental health
46% of patients would like to be involved in future research
PURPOSE OF PLATFORM C19
The platform receives anonymised patient data from from GP practices participating in the free OPC COVID-19 quality improvement programme.
Our strategy in supporting the COVID-19 pandemic response is to mobilise patient data, research resources and partnerships across the UK to:
- Coordinate research ideas, resources and partnerships to conduct studies which address the wider impact of COVID-19, especially on at-risk groups that will be most affected
- Undertake vital research into COVID-19 and offer expert advice to NHS healthcare partners/providers
- Facilitate evidence-based driven research efforts related to COVID-19
- Provide rapid and affordable access to UK-wide research datasets for COVID-19 research
BENEFITS OF PLATFORM C19
Access to over 8,000 (and growing) research pre-consented patients to conduct funded COVID-19 research including patient surveys.
Results and insights from various research and exploratory analyses conducted on Platform C19 will contribute towards the pool of information and knowledge on COVID-19 required to:
- Identify risks associated with poor patient outcomes for COVID-19
- Understand the unmet needs of patients affected by COVID-19 and those at-risk
- Develop effective clinical pathways to improve care of patients affected by COVID-19
- Develop evidence-based recommendations, guidelines and policies for management of COVID-19
SOURCES OF DATA
Participating practices contribute de-identified patient data to OPCRD for ethically approved COVID-19 research.
Current Research data sources include:
- Primary care (GP) electronic records – OPCRD
- Hospital Treatments Insights data – HTI Database (IQVIA)
- Linked data e.g. HES and ONS data will be made available in the future
MORE ABOUT PLATFORM C19
Platform C19 and the Covid-19 Quality Improvement Programme that provides anonymised patient data for ethically approved research on the platform is currently funded by Optimum Patient Care Ltd (OPC), and the Observational and Pragmatic Research Institute (OPRI).
We welcome funding contributions including academic grants to support any of our many research themes and platform activities.
BECOME A SPONSOR